Real Food Wednesday: Journey to Real Food

28 Apr

Since this is the first Real Food Wednesday I’ve participated in, I thought I’d share my journey to real food.

I’ve been a ridiculously picky eater as far back as I can remember. I didn’t like vegetables, sauces, meat that had even the slightest piece of fat on it, food that was mixed with other food, and a whole slew of other things. However, when there was something I liked I ate it…and ate it, and ate it, and ate it. I could put away quite a bit for my small frame. I LOVED McDonald’s. Since both of my parents were teachers with busy schedules, I was always begging to stop there. Not that my mom wasn’t a great cook, because she definitely is, but like I said–I was super picky.

I’ve always been blessed with a fast metabolism (thanks Grandma), which I’m definitely grateful for. The downside is that I could eat things like, oh, an entire Little Caesar’s pizza or a double Big Mac with Super Sized fries, and not notice any difference. I hated water and drank lots of soda and chocolate milk. I wasn’t a complete pig, but I definitely didn’t hold back when there was something that I liked.

When I went to college I took full advantage of the options that the cafeteria offered. Every day after my lunch, I had dessert: waffles with ice cream and strawberry syrup. I still cringe thinking about how I ate like that almost every day for a year, but at the time it just seemed like a special treat. Only, every day. Looking back at my student ID, my face was definitely a little fuller when I started sophomore year, but again, I had no real weight gain and no urge to change my eating habits.

On spring break my sophomore year, I read Fast Food Nation. Wow. It pretty much rocked my world. I had never really thought much about food, I just knew what I liked and what I didn’t like and figured as long as I didn’t eat candy all the time, I’d be A-OK. The realization of just how unhealthy and fake many of the things I ate were hit me like a brick. I swore off McDonald’s completely–I’ve only eaten there twice since (out of necessity). Not that Wendy’s or Burger King are any better (I try to avoid them too), but for me McDonald’s symbolizes everything wrong about the way I had been consuming food.

I moved out of the dorms that year and started cooking more of my own food. I still used a lot of box mixes and frozen meals, but I avoided fast/junk food and started drinking water. Caleb and I cooked a lot of our meals together and I started experimenting more and more with what we made.

When I moved to Florida, I became friends with some fabulous vegetarians and gave vegetables a run for their money. Thanks to Community Dinner, a weekly potluck started by my friends Chris and Erin, I had the opportunity to try a crazy variety of food. After Caleb and I got married, we went “flexitarian” for a while (mainly to save money): we still ate meat, we just never bought it at the store or cooked it at home. We ate that way for over a year, and I expanded my cooking even more by finding some great vegetarian food blogs.

Last summer, I started reading some new food and homemaking blogs that talked a lot about Westin A. Price and Nourishing Traditions. As I began to read about eating traditional foods and learned how processed many of even the “healthy” supermarket foods are, I felt like I had a second food “reawakening.” Realizing that many of the diseases that plague us today are fairly new (and multiplying so quickly), coupled with some family members dealing with heart disease caused me to dig even deeper into food research.

What I discovered is just how political the food industry truly is. The FDA board is a merry-go-round of agro-business executives, funding the very studies they’re supposed to critique. Corn and high fructose corn syrup, along with MSG and a variety of other chemicals are in 80% of supermarket foods, something we’re only beginning to see the effects of. Add to that the fat myth and the cursing of traditional fats and oils and it was easy to see just how twisted the food industry has become.

Now that I truly understand that what I put in my body has a profound affect on my health, I’ve made increasingly bigger changes in what I buy and what we eat. This year we started drinking raw milk, eating eggs from a friend’s chickens, and buying most of our vegetables from local farmers. There are so many things I’d still like to do (make kefir, make more homemade stock, ferment vegetables) and I’m continuing to raise the bar for what we eat.

I do this not to be “elitist” or because I worship nature, but because I want to take care of the body the God has blessed me with. I want to help my family to be healthy and to nourish our bodies with the foods God created for us. And I’m by no means perfect! We definitely live by the “80/20 rule”: eat the best we can 80% of the time and go with the flow for the other 20%. I will always be grateful for any food shared with me by others, no matter where it came from. Because even though food is important, people matter more.

I plan on doing more posts focusing on different aspects of eating real food, but if you’re interested, here are a few of my favorite resources:

Movies

Weston A. Price
Nourished Kitchen
Keeper of the Home
Passionate Homemaking
Nourishing Days

Related Posts with Thumbnails

18 Responses to “Real Food Wednesday: Journey to Real Food”

1. Deborah Watkins 29. Apr, 2010 at 12:53 am #

Crystal…I love your blog i saw a post on facebook, this is such a great post, i am always looking for new healthy recipes to try. Jordan and i have watched all those movies except king of corn (we will have to put that on our netflix). They all put a new light to the foods we choose now that is for sure. Also Jordan has read In Defense of Food and i would like to. I can’t wait to read more of your posts!!

2. Miss Jones 29. Apr, 2010 at 1:28 am #

Thanks! In Defense of Food is such a great book–it really encapsulates everything that is wrong with how most of us eat these days. Plus, it’s super interesting and a pretty quick read.

There are more documentaries on Netflix that you can instant watch, I have a couple on my list that I’ll have to share (once I watch and see if they’re any good).

3. Nick Shell 29. Apr, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

1) Thank you!
    2) I will be putting a link to this post in several of my posts to come, in my healthnutshell series.
    3) A+

4. Miss Jones 29. Apr, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Thanks Nick! I really enjoyed the posts you’ve done on food in the past and can’t wait to read more!

5. Huong 30. Apr, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

Great post, Crystal! We FINALLY watched Food, Inc last week or whenever it was on PBS and though I feel I was already pretty good at being aware about food, it definitely opened my eyes and changed my eating habits again. I too used to be able to put away an entire pizza by myself and would go to McDonald’s at least once a week. Makes me cringe to think about that now. I’m going to share this on my blog as well to keep the knowledge flowing :)

6. Jonathan 10. Aug, 2010 at 12:14 am #

Very good Webblog, excellent posts.
    Love the recipes and your pictures.
    Found whilst looking for Woo theme users.
    Best regards J
    Ixchel Ha (Food Forest Farm) Punta Gorda, Belize, Central America

7. Miss Jones 12. Aug, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Thanks Jonathan! I enjoyed looking at your pictures on Flickr, so beautiful!

8. chicken salad recipe 05. Sep, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

The variations can easily be adapted to envelop stir-fry with an oriental flavor, curries for Indian fare
    and used to serve spinach and other dips for family gatherings and parties.
    During summer the intake of regular diet is less but the salads with nice dressings and variety of toppings can actually work
    a appetizers. Try just a little experimenting and come up with some HCG recipes all by
    yourself.

9. http://bookarestaurantonline.com 10. Sep, 2013 at 5:15 am #

Many of the chicken delicacies are also possible to be made by mixing some spices with other daily use
    items such as coconut, loaf, onion, garlic, mushroom, etc.
    Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until firm when touched remove the pan from the
    heat, uncover, cool the chicken in the liquid for
    half an hour. You can place a lettuce leaf on a plate and put a scoop of chicken salad in the middle and serve with reduced calorie crackers.

10. Auckland directory 29. Sep, 2013 at 3:06 am #

The tools are available online where you can download them from the Adobe website.
    STACY: If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be
    and why. You can also get customized product recommendations
    for your business and create personalized shopping
    lists. The former one shows the people calling you on your phone,
    while the latter does not allow their numbers to show the people you
    call the phone numbers. Unlike other business directories available today, d3ayat
    places a great deal of importance on the accuracy of data posted on their site.

11. Fredric 09. Oct, 2013 at 4:01 am #

The first thing you will need to do is ensure that you are likeable.
    Be confident you are taking treatment with all features
    of the selling – like the products description – never be dependent exclusively on Twitter and
    Tweet Adder. Link Lover We all love a good link, but if
    the only thing you are posting on Twitter is links-
    chances are you will lose some followers. Thus
    far, I did not discover any damaging feedback for this item.
    The beauty of advertising is that the adverts will be targeted
    towards the right audience for maximum benefits.

12. Sepatu 18. Oct, 2013 at 10:57 am #

As it happened, that night it was raining cats and dogs.
    Make sure it has a good support with a firm heel and is lightweight.
    Here we provides some of the more popular kid’s shoes to consider while shopping.
    Browse the shelving, is there books, pictures or popular music open to go on a review from.
    OSIRIS Kids’ South Bronx is available at a size of 12M
    US Little kid.

13. refrigerators repair pasadena 20. Oct, 2013 at 10:43 am #

After the usual greetings, I showed him where the
    washer was and left him to his business. The good news is usually
    that they’re quick solutions that every homeowner ought to be address
    in a instant. The cool atmosphere of a refrigerator
    keeps food fresh and free of bacteria. You join an affiliate network like Commission Junction (CJ),
    Share a Sale or Clickbank. The microorganisms can be reactivated and multiply
    once the food is removed from cold storge.

14. Mielerepaircenter.Com 21. Oct, 2013 at 3:36 am #

The consumer only sees a vacuum cleaner sitting on
    a shop shelf, but each design has specific advantages best suited to specific demographics.
    You must do your homework too so you do not end
    up with a substandard model which you regret after a short time.
    The steam generated is then circulated throughout the building or home using radiators, vents and pipes, specifically created
    for heat transferring. This type of change is what happens to heat the area or, in
    this case make it colder. You need to check out Bosch’s Ascenta
    Evolution collection.

15. Miele repair santa Monica 07. Nov, 2013 at 3:19 am #

Galvanized pipe is smooth inside, allowing a free movement of air.
    If there’s excessive frost buildup in the freezer, it can signal a number of different problems with the defrost heater,
    the defrost thermostat, or the defrost control, all of which
    will affect the overall cooling process. Your local appliances repair experts will be able examine the unit, determine what part is at fault, and complete
    the necessary repairs. Or you finally decide to wash that load of dishes
    that have taken up residence in your dishwasher, just to find that the water won’t start to spray.
    Sometimes they’ll fix it immediately, sometimes they’ll have
    to wait for a part.

16. affect versus effect 08. Nov, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Now a professional can position your business in a
    way that an outsider can embrace, while speaking your vision unencumbered by other perspectives.
    Some of the physical changes that occur in late adulthood are (a) progressively
    weakened immunity, (b) decreased eyesight and hearing, and (c) osteoarthritis.
    European farming techniques required intense labour from “five in the morning to seven or eight at night from mid-March through mid-September. Also, It is possible to affect one or both breasts. They might think it’s emotional rather than a thyroid issue.

17. anastasia 09. Aug, 2016 at 4:03 am #

So excited to start! I have been slowly making changes including switching to grass fed local organic meats, local grass fed raw milk, and planning on turning half of my backyard into a garden in the spring. What I am having trouble with is getting my twin toddlers (boys) to eat veggies, especially greens. The ate them when they were babies and I was making their baby food. But they just turned two and now everything green is he devil! But they will suck down a kale and kiwi smoothie or juice from the juicer with no problems. Kids!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. healthnutshell: The Extremes of Being a Meat Head Vs. Being a Vegetarian « Scenic Route Snapshots - 29. Apr, 2010

[…] Here’s a post from one of my writer friends that she just posted this morning, which I highly endorse:  http://www.meetmissjones.com/2010/04/real-food-wednesday-journey-to-real-food/ […]